Looking for Self Storage in Crowley, Joshua, or Burleson for Spring
Spring is one of the most popular times to rent a storage unit. With better weather, spring cleaning, and lots of people moving, this is the busy season for self storage. Whether you’re using self storage for storing your winter belongings or using it during the process of a move, it can help to know more about the storage industry during this peak season.
Common Reasons for Spring Storage
When the weather starts to warm up in the spring, a lot of people become more active. With everything that’s going on during this season, it’s easy to see why it’s the busiest time of year for self storage.
Here are some of the common reasons why people rent storage units during the spring:
- College Storage: In May, many schools will be out of session for summer break. With college students moving out of their dorms, many of them will rent self storage to store their belongings.
- Spring Cleaning: Spring is a popular time for cleaning out your home and getting organized. Many people rent a storage unit to store seasonal belongings like winter clothes and snow blowers.
- Moving Season: Spring is also the most active time of year in the real estate business, so people will be moving. Self storage can be a great solution for holding your belongings while you’re in the process of moving from one home to the next.
Things to Know About Self Storage in the Spring
While a busy storage season is great for storage operators, it can be a minor hassle for those looking to rent a storage unit. Due to higher demand, you’ll likely see a far more competitive market for storage units, especially in larger cities. This high seasonal demand can result in several situations:
- Rental rates can rise due to the higher demand for self storage, and move-in specials are less likely to be available due to high demand.
- The large amount of people moving in the spring will create some competition for larger storage unit sizes. Most facilities have a limited quantity of large storage units, so you may see those numbers dwindle during a popular moving season.
- Around the end of the school year, you may be competing with college students for smaller and medium-sized storage units. Students who rent storage units to store dorm belongings will be hitting the market around May.
Beating Spring Rates
Even though spring is a high-demand season for storage, there are still ways you can save money on storage during those few months. Of course, this will take a bit of planning in advance in order to get in while the prices are still low.
Here are a few ways to avoid paying extra for self storage during the spring:
- Avoid the Busiest Areas – With college students and movers contributing to some of the competition that occurs during the spring, avoiding storing right near the heart of the action can be beneficial. For instance, if you live ten miles away from a college campus, the facility two miles farther from the campus might be a better bet than the one two miles closer.
- Reserve a Unit as Early as Possible – If you do need to rent a storage unit during the spring, try to anticipate that need far in advance. If you can reserve a unit earlier in the year, you can likely lock in at a lower rate and avoid competition for 5x5 and 5x10 storage units.